About Us

John Springer
John Springer, 45, lives in Port Jefferson, N.Y., on Long Island's North Shore.

A journalist for nearly 25 years, John opened The Old Port Pub in the busy tourist village in August, 2006.

John personally supervised the complete rebuild of the space, including the construction of a new 32-foot bar, back bar and waitress station.

"OPP," an upscale pub with an Old Port Jefferson feel, was an instant success in a market looking for an alternative to bars catering to the just-turned-21 crowd.

In 2008, John supervised the construction of a state-of-the-art pub kitchen, working with contractors and the local health department to keep the project on time and on budget.

John developed his investigative skills as a staff writer for seven years at the Hartford (Conn.) Courant, where he was often called upon to do background investigations on crooked politicians, criminals and other targets. His journalism work often brought him to courthouses to dig through public records and cover criminal proceedings.

In 2001, Court TV (now TruTV) hired John as senior staff writer for its website. John's assignments over the next seven years took him to courthouses in more than half of the 50 states, and he was often called upon by Court TV and other media outlets for his take on the legal story of the day.

In 2009, John decided to combine his experience in the bar business and background as a investigative journalist to offer consulting services for liquor license applicants and licensees in New York.

"My promise to you is this: If I don't know something, I'll tell you so up front," John said. "And If I don't know, I have the skills and determination to get you answers to your questions quickly. That's my pledge."

Articles about John Springer


THE NEW YORK TIMES: Amid a whirl of online news, a newsstand opens

PULITZER.org: Hartford Courant wins Pulitzer Prize

IMPORTANT NOTICE: John Springer is not an attorney and does not dispense legal advice or represent clients before any "court of record," as defined in state law. The state does, however, permit qualified non-attorney representatives to assist clients before administrative agencies, including license applications and administrative adjudicatory hearings. If you are summoned to appear in a court of law or suspect you may be, you should consult a duly admitted attorney at law.

Copyright © 2009-2010. All rights reserved.